The Gift of Government
I. Not Bosses, But Servants
A. Church leaders are not to seek power.
Note: As Christian leadership is to be characterized by slave-service, the words "minister." And "servant," mean "servant," and "slave."
2. Jesus gave us a perfect model. "For the Son of man came to ...minister, and to give His life a ransom for many." (Mark 10:45)
a. He humbled Himself to become a slave. (Phillipians
3. Names of major church offices denote service.
4. Genuine Christian leadership serves, not bosses.
Note: The teaching of the universal priesthood of believers places leader and people on the same level. ( 1 Peter 2:5,9)
II. Not Bosses, But Leaders
A. The gift of governments do exist as
part of the Spirit's gift to the church.
Note: They remained in Jerusalem to lead when others scattered (Acts 8:1-4)
2. They advised the election of deacons. (Acts 6:2-3)
B. On Paul's journeys, a consistent policy
of church government was established.
2. Elders were appointed at Ephesus (Acts 20:17)
3. Paul left Titus at Crete to "set things in order...ordain elders in every city..." (Titus 1:5)
Note: Above verse proves there were many churches established during Paul's ministry that are not named in the New Testament.
C. Paul gave Timothy a list of qualifications
for church leaders. (I Timothy 3:1-15)
D. A church operating without leadership
will hamper the work of the Holy Spirit, Who gives the gift
E. Though members are equal, the Holy Spirit
does place some over others in the church.
2. The word "government" in I Corinthians 12:28 is related to the word "master" meaning, "helmsman" or steersman."
Note: as a ship needs a pilot or helmsman, a church needs a captain with the gift of piloting.
3. Another word for "government"
refers to a "governor," which means "to go
before, rule, command, have authority over."
III. The Operation of Leadership
A. Qualifications for Leadership.
2. He is to be an example to the flock. (I Peter 5:3)
B. Paul equates leadership with labor.
C. The gift of government runs counter
to hierarchical structure.
2. The gifts must be accompanied by spiritual grace, or it will breed anarchy.
D. Areas of exercising the gift in church
IV. The Gift of Government involves setting goals for the future.
A. Motivating people
B. Executing plans
C. Reviewing the results
We Are | Missions
Offerings | Site
Map | Ask
|Copyright © 2005 - Friendship Baptist Church of Wichita, Kansas. All Rights Reserved.|